MOVED

This blog has now moved to head ♥ heart ♥ health

Recent posts from head ♥ heart ♥ health

Friday 29 May 2009

Tell Me Why?

When you proclaim to your co-workers, friends and family that you are competing in a body building competition, they understand the simple requirement that you must be on a calorie controlled diet to lose fat because you will be standing in front of people in a bikini. Although they cannot fathom doing it themselves, they understand why you skip the cakes at morning tea, and bring your own lunch from home.

But try that same behaviour without having a reason 'why' that makes any sense to an average person and you will be surprised at what happens.

First of all the way you look is open for public discussion - Aren't you going to put on any weight at all now that you've finished with that body building stuff? You can't be as thin as you are all the time, it's just not healthy? Are you sure you are eating enough, you look like you are fading away?

Then, how you eat is scrutinized - A piece of cake/pie/chocolate/pastry won't hurt you. Aren't you going to eat normal food now? Why are you worried about calories when you are so skinny? I thought you were finished with your diet now ...

And then the most annoying question of all:
Are you sure you are OK?

You assume I am not OK because I control my calorie intake and I train 6 days out of 7, without having any reason to. It is not normal, so I must have something wrong with me (... an eating disorder?)

If it was any of your business (which it isn't) I would tell you that my goals are:

(a) to maintain a stable weight while enjoying my training and nutrition
(b) to prove that it is possible to be lean all year round
(c) to inspire and motivate other people to achieve what others say can't be done

and this is the reason why I choose to continue live to the same way now as I did before the competition.

But because I am getting a bit sick of it all, I would tell you instead that I'm on a diet to lose more weight because I'm too fat and watch your face crumble in disbelief I will simply say - I like being me and living this way - how about you?

3 comments:

  1. I never understand why people feel the need to comment on what others chose to eat. A piece of cake might not hurt you but if you don't want it then why should you feel pressured to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people understand if you have a clear, measurable goal (something that they can measure.

    If your goal is to feel good about yourself and your body, to be the best you can be and to maintain your current low level of body fat they don't get it. (ie. something that they personally can't really measure) then they don't understand.

    Not really sure if I am making sense here, but I understand how you feel! People need to respect that you have set yourself a personal goal and that means more to you than a piece of cake at morning tea. They need to get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn - welcome back from your travels - I've missed your blogging. Yes it is weird that people feel entitled to tell you what you should eat.

    Emma - you make perfect sense to me. Having someone else who understands how I feel helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete