or What the Hell are you Doing Again?
In response to Marla's comment, I thought I should clarify what my current strategy is in terms of fat loss and training.
I have reached my goal to weigh sub 60kg with body fat between 7kg and 8kg. I have actually been at this level for almost 3 months.
My current goals are
• to stay at my 'happy' weight forever
• to reset my set point so this becomes easy
• to slowly increase my calories so average daily intake is around 2,000+ without fat gain
• to reduce my training so that my body doesn't get injured or sick
• to have some freedom to eat like a 'normal' person on occasions
• to reduce my stress levels
• to get my period back [the only concrete evidence I have that I am not trying to maintain a body fat percentage that is too lean]
• to have enough energy to train hard and have enough left over for the rest of the day
What am I doing to achieve these goals
• slowly increasing my average weekly calorie level - I am at about 1800 now and hoping I can go higher (still calorie cycling low/high)
• reducing my training from 80-90 minutes a day 5 days a week to 30 minutes a day 5 days a week - 2-3 weight sessions and 2-3 cardio sessions
• eating back half of the calories I burn in exercise so I don't get too hungry or too tired
• monitoring my scale weight - 56 kg is my 'happy' weight and I have a 2kg buffer to account for fluctuations
• having a high calorie day or a free meal/day once a week so I can eat out with Mr KatieP (I wait for a low(er) scale number before I do this)
• sleeping more - 5am starts are no longer required
Fundamentally my three biggest enemies are hunger, fatigue and lack of spontaneity. I will do what it takes to stay lean, but I choose not to live the rest of my life hungry, tired and unable to go out to eat once in a while.
I took a week off training to give my body a rest and to have a break from the stress of training. It made me realise that I have been under eating and over training. I am trying to find the middle ground where I stay in shape and stay sane. It is all a big experiment.
And for the record, TTOM arrived yesterday so something is working.