MOVED

This blog has now moved to head ♥ heart ♥ health

Recent posts from head ♥ heart ♥ health

Friday 27 March 2009

Butter Cream Toffee is Good


Yesterday I had a mini meltdown. By 10am I was starving so I ate my morning tea. I was still hungry so I ate my afternoon tea which still didn't do it, so then I ate my lunch. After I had consumed my morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea in the space of an hour, I was actually quite content again.

Knowing that I had no more food to eat until dinner that night put me in worrying position. If I didn't eat anything all afternoon, I was likely to be ravenous when I got home and possibly make some bad food choices. So I decided that today would be my high calorie day and had some chicken sushi around 3pm when I was hungry again.

By day's end, I had eaten around 1800 calories and about 150g carbs. The scale spike is perfectly acceptable. Today I am going to try 'front loading' my day by still having my early morning oats even though I'm not training and then having a HUGE breakfast later on.

This morning I tried oat bran instead of rolled oats. I found this wonderful blog by Heather which has the best ideas for oaty goodness with my other favourite - nut butter. Oat bran has a better nutritional profile than oatmeal and it is lovely and creamy.

I have been incorporating the 'drop set' method into my training and it has been giving me major DOMs everywhere. This morning I can barely walk and my chest is still sore from Wednesday. The idea is that after you have done your working sets, pick up a lighter weight and lift until failure [don't even bother counting the reps - just keep going], then another lighter weight and then another lifting until you can't do anymore. Result = good ouch!

3 comments:

  1. Drop sets'll get the DOMS happening, for sure!

    I love oat bran - here's a simple idea: mix oat bran and egg whites (whatever proportion works for you) and cook in a non-stick pan into a kind of pancake. Then top with your favourite veggies, some salt and pepper - yum! Or you can go fruit and syrup if you want it sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:44 am

    Hi katie

    How did you cook you oatbran and combine with the nut butter? do you have with milk or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,
    What an inspiring story! You look amazing, and I am blown away by your dedication.

    Thanks for the shout-out, and I'm glad you liked the oat bran. I'm a bit obsessed myself, can you tell? :)

    ReplyDelete