MOVED

This blog has now moved to head ♥ heart ♥ health

Recent posts from head ♥ heart ♥ health

Monday 11 May 2009

The Dreaded M Word - Maintenance

I have thought long and hard about what I am going to do on Monday 18 May and beyond. I am firmly resolved to continue eating and training in a way that will allow me to keep my body and mind in great shape from here on in.

A Goal With a Deadline
I have set myself a new goal to remain at my happy weight (under 60kgs and carrying less than 8kgs of fat) for the next 12 weeks. In order to achieve that goal, I will continue the strategies that have got me here over the past few months - logging and weighing my food, eating what I love, weekly weigh-ins, cycling my calories/carbs, training according to my nutrition, keeping detailed records and posting my progress publicly.

More Calories + Adjusted Training
I have taken the bulking cycle of UD2.0 and modified it to what I think is maintenance for me ~ a guess at an average of 1800 calories a day. Carbs will increase on low carb days and depletion training will be replaced with a 2 day split. I have drafted a new log that makes it a bit clearer:

A Plan 'B'
Now that I have found a way to lose fat without too much pain, I know that if I get off track, I can simply switch back to the fat loss phase of UD2.0 at any time. The thought of being in calorie deficit again if necessary doesn't fill me will binge urges which was where I have ended up in the past.

A Strong Network

I am certain that continuing my interaction with my bodybuilding friends in the real world, and on line will greatly improve my chances of being successful this time around. I know that when I feel like shit and want to chuck it all in, there is someone at the end of the phone who will talk me down off the ledge. I have learned that needing help is not a sign of weakness and usually a friendly voice is far more comforting than eating the cupboards bare.

A New 'Guru'?

Because I feel I have been fortunate enough to make some progress with the eternal quest to reach my body composition goal and maintain it, I have been secretly cooking up a way to share that knowledge with other people who might need a bit of personalised help [watch this space].

If my ideas work out, I will be in a position where I will need to 'practice what I preach' every single day. There is nothing more motivating than knowing your behaviour is on public display and that inspiring others is more than just a choice, it is an obligation.

It is Just the Beginning
Competing on Sunday 17 May will not be achieving the most challenging goal I have set for 2009, or the highlight of my year. My goal is to maintain a sane approach to nutrition and training while being in the best shape of my life from this moment forward.

My new plans are only for the 12 weeks following next weekend because there is no limit to what I might do in the future. There are other competitions to enter, unexplored ways to offer help and inspiration to others, and even a book that might get written.

Living a life that offers such limitless potential guarantees that I wake up each day looking forward to working as hard as I can to be the best I can be. And that, my friends, is my definition of happiness.

1 comment: