MOVED

This blog has now moved to head ♥ heart ♥ health

Recent posts from head ♥ heart ♥ health

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Protein Powder vs Real Protein

I love my protein powder pancakes for breakfast (I don't add the fruit anymore), instead of bread in a sandwich and for dessert. I eat them all day long.

But is protein powder the best source of protein?

We need protein in our diet to build and repair our muscles, but protein is also beneficial as it is the blunts hunger, and it takes the most calories to digest.

Although protein powder delivers the required amino acids to our muscles, I don't believe it is very filling or that it takes a great deal of digestion (which is sometimes the point of choosing the powder over whole foods). I have been making my pancakes with buckwheat flour instead of the powder and having chicken thigh meat on them for breakfast. As chicken has a fairly bland taste, it is actually perfectly delicious to still add peanut butter, maple syrup and ice cream. Sounds freaky I know, but tastes just as good, if not better.

If you find yourself getting hungry quite quickly after a protein shake or a protein powder meal, try switching to real foods - chicken, eggs, nuts - and see if you notice a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment